Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blog Post 11

dad and daughter comic about blogging

Ms. Cassidy
After I watched the video: First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class, and the skype interview.  I thought wow that was pretty impressive.  Ms. Cassidy using technology in so many different ways in her classroom.  She has her students blog, do videos, skype with other people, and talk with people all over the world and they are only first graders.  In the video it seemed that the students had large interest in learning how to use technology to there advantage.  Ms. Cassidy started using technology in her classroom ten years ago when she received five computers for her class.  She stated that the computers had no programs on them but they did have internet so she figured out what she could use the internet for in her classroom and it just kept growing.  She has not had a tremendous amount of support from administration but at the same time no one is telling her that she can not do what she is doing.  I thought an obstacle would be to get permission from the parents to allow there child's work be posted on the internet, but Ms. Cassidy actually said that the parents have no problem with it.  In fact that they like that they can be able to look at there child's work anytime they are at the computer.  I think what she is doing with her first graders is what should be going on everywhere.  
I can not help but to think about that I did not have my first real computer class until I was in the sixth grade and all we mainly were taught was key placement.  The first graders in Ms. Cassidy's class knew more about the uses of technology than I did until I became a EDM310 student.  Maybe if I would have had a class like hers I would have not have been so stressed out at the beginning of this class.
I hope to use technology in my classroom the same way that Ms. Cassidy does.  I also hope that I keep learning and incorporating new things into the classroom.  One thing I have noticed when I am out at some of the schools is that lack of computers in the classrooms.  I have not been to a school yet that has had more than two computers in there classroom.  I think this is where if it is available to you that the smartboards would be helpful.  One thing I really liked in the video was when it showed the students talking with a geologist about different kinds of rocks.  To me this was such a great idea to bring experts into your classroom via skype to help get your lessons across.  
I know I still have a lot to learn but I am learning.  I think that using my PLN's and things like twitter and facebook will be great resources that I can use to obtain information needed or if I come into something that I could get some help with.  I found Ms. Cassidy's video and interview very helpful and inspiring.  I look forward to having my future students one day using technology in the classroom in so many different ways.
 

2 comments:

  1. "The first graders in Ms. Cassidy's class knew more about the uses of technology than I did until I became a EDM310 student. Maybe if I would have had a class like hers I would have not have been so stressed out at the beginning of this class." Maybe.

    "I know I still have a lot to learn but I am learning. " If you are like me, that will always be the case!

    PS. Great cartoon!
    "I look forward to having my future students one day using technology in the classroom in so many different ways." Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty advance students for first graders. Ms. Cassidy is doing everything she can to educate her students with technology. She has the right idea by starting them young. It becomes a way of life and they grow up with technology. Very good summary, and great ideas in your blog. EDM 310 has done wonders for us all.

    ReplyDelete