Saturday, March 5, 2011

C4T #2

Blog Site

Teacher: Mr. Chamberlain

Summary of Mr. Chamberlain's post made on January 31, 2011:
In this post Mr. Chamberlain is writing about the concept of the master/apprentice idea in schools.  Which is the master takes a set of skills he or she knows and passes them onto there apprentice.  He wrote about that if we used this concept in school today it would look like this.  Classrooms would have fewer students in them which would allow us to teach them learning skills to help them develop into master learners.  One of his questions was can schools be re-purposed to this end?

I responded back to him that stating that I thought that the master/apprentice class was a interesting concept.  I stated that I thought that this way of teaching/learning seemed to be more beneficial than the teacher standing in front of the classroom reading out of a book and the students not really getting anything out of what is being taught.  I wrote how some studies show that students in this kind of environment overall enjoy school more and get more out of it than the alternative.  My question to Mr. Chamberlain was why don't schools use this approach more?

Mr. Chamberlain responded back by stating it is all about the Benjamins.  He made the statement that it would cost more money for this type of learning.  He made a very true statement about how it is much easier and cheaper to just heard thirty students into rows with the teacher at the front of the classroom.

I responded back that I do agree that it is all about the Benjamins.  I made the statement that it seems that the world revolves around money, and it seems that most industries grow from it.  I thought though in the world of education it seemed so far behind, and I wonder does that have to do with lack of money for education?

classroom desk with an apple on it

No comments:

Post a Comment