Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blog Post 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? by Scott McLeod  
 Scott McLeod Ph.D, is an associate professor in the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University.  He was also the co-creator of the video, Did You Know?.  My position on this blog was that I agree with what he is saying.  I do think that we need to monitor what our students are doing on the computers and teach them what is proper use of Internet and other technology devices.  There is tons of privacy settings out there that schools and parents can use to make technology devices out there safe for the children.  But if someone was just to keep a child from learning how to use these things then they are endangering that child from ever being able to get ahead.  From what I have witnessed in the past is that if you keep a child from doing something then chances are when they are not with you they are going to figure out how to do whatever it is they are being kept from.  So I think it is better to show the student the proper ways and to set up the privacy settings, then for them to find something on there own that they shouldn't see.

The iSchool Initiative  
The argument that is being made is to incorporate the iSchool into the classroom.  The reason being is because it would be cheaper per student and overall better for the school environment.  In doing so the schools would not have to buy text books, library books, paper, pencils, copiers etc...  The teacher student parent relationship is said to also be more of an open line of communication with this system. 
The question I have is what would happen if by chance everything were to crash?  Then would we loose all of our records and materials?  I think it is great to use technology in the classroom, but I do not think that we should totally depend on it.  I personally like to keep hard copies of documents.  I think the system is a great idea, but maybe it should be more of an integrated thing into the schools. I also think this program would fit better in the high school and college setting.  In the elementary setting certain skills need to be taught such as writing there names with a pen or pencil, and learn how to set up a math problem.  These are just my opinions and I might change my mind once I get into the classroom.

Watch The Lost Generation
I thought this was a great video, and I agree with what it is saying.  I am sad to say that I think how the first message played was how the world will probably be in the future.  When the message was reversed and read backward it was a much better outcome.  I hope that the future is more like reading the message backward than forwards.  I grew up in a family that always put family first and I would like to think that I will keep that motto going.  I love the comment that happiness comes from within, because I think no matter what money wont buy you long term happiness.

Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
My reaction to this video was that it was absolutely amazing.  If I was told that those singers have never met and that it was all done over the internet I would have thought no way is that possible, but I saw it with my own eyes and see it is possible.  I think this was a great idea to put this together to show what could be accomplished through technology.  This video show how the internet connects so many people that might have never had the chance to meet any other way.  I think the internet is like a door that is open to the world.  This was a great video.

Teaching in the 21st Century 
I thought this was a good video.  I think that Teri Hampton was suggesting that as teachers we need to be able to teach to the 21st century.  As I was watching it I thought about how it goes hand in hand with this class.  In this class we are learning how to use all kinds of different things that deals with technology to better our classrooms. I think what the video was saying was that students are going to use all of the different things out there so why not show them how to use it, we need to be the filters.  Teaching in the 21st century is going to be more technology based so we are going to have to incorporate technology into our everyday curriculum.  It is important that we teach students proper use of the things out there and how it could be beneficial to them in the future.

school house

3 comments:

  1. Your point about kids searching out what is forbidden is an excellent one!

    I backup all of my most important things in Dropbox. It is impossible to imagine anything that would make those data inaccessible everywhere at the same time. But my "hard copies" could disappear in one hurricane, or a fire, or a tornado, or through a robbery, or because my wife decides it is time to clean house and get rid of all my junk. I can't buy your "it might get lost" argument.

    "This video show how the internet connects so many people that might have never had the chance to meet any other way. " And that is very important!

    Are you ready to be a 21st century teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange
    That is great comment about putting important things into my Dropbox. I did not think of it at the time of this assignment. I think this class is opening my eye's to a lot of new thing in the technology world. I hope that I am on my way to becoming a 21st century teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think is great to have control of the kids devices and to protect them from anything. When you thought about the devices crashing in ischool, I thought how is everyone going to pay for it. Some people are just getting by with the money they have. I thought the backward version on the Lost Generation is better too. I thought the choir was amazing too. They took a lot of time to bring this about and show how people can work together. As to being a filters, we are all filters as long as we know to use it when comes to teaching.

    ReplyDelete