Friday, January 28, 2011

Blog Post 2

Did You Know?
My first overall reaction to this video was WOW.  I think it is so fascinating how fast the technology industry has grown, and is still growing.  I think the world as a whole now has the thought process of you do not have to wait for anything anymore.  I think a lot of that has to do with the development of technology; just with a touch of a button you can find, buy, download, etc... anything you wish.  I think technology is a great thing as a whole, but I can't help to wonder what life will be like in the future.  Being an education major it makes me wonder if in the future if we would even have schools or would classrooms become video based.  
My second reaction to this video was when I realized how far behind I am in the technology world.  Watching this video I realized there is so much I need to learn about this industry not only because I the students I teach will have every new thing out there, but I need to keep up with the expansion of the technology industry because it seems that everything is moving to that direction.  Overall this video was a complete eye opener for me.

Mr.Winkle Wakes
I thought the Mr. Winkle Wakes video was great.  I love how it highlighted how most of the industries of the world have updated there methods with the time.  I also had a light bulb moment when it went to the school segment of the video.  We all know that schools are behind in the technology world, but I wonder if maybe students grades would overall improve if we brought technology into the classroom more.  I think that only makes sense because today's students use technology on a daily bases.  Students today would rather play basketball on a video game than go outside and play the real thing.  I can't say I agree with this but maybe the education world should keep up with the times to help prepare the students for what they are going to be getting into.
This video made me wonder what we would see if we woke up one hundred years from now.  The ideas are endless on what we think the world would be like.  I can remember being and middle school and having dial-up internet and at that time it was okay.  Now though, if it takes our computer screens longer to load than we would like we become upset.  Looking back just a couple of years I never would have thought I would be depending on technology so much, but then I guess everyone depends on it now.  It makes me wonder if one day we will be saying to our students back in our day we had to use pencil and paper to do our class work.


Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
I really enjoyed this video.  I totally agree with what he was saying.  I believe that schools today focus mainly on the students state testing grades, and if there students are achieving in the four main subject areas. It is sad to say but a lot of schools don' t really bother with any of the arts.  Don't get me wrong I think it is important to know Math, Science, Language, and History, but I think it is equally important to not squash a child's creativity side.  I do not see anything wrong with incorporating the students creativity into the classroom.  I might be wrong but I don't know anywhere where it says that the student must only read the book, take notes, and recite it on a test.  I think as teachers we need to embrace students creativity instead of enabling it.
I know personally going through school I still remember things taught to me years ago by teachers who let me use my creative side on the assignment.  I can also tell you in the classes that the teacher just read out of a book and we took notes and then took a test, I can't even remember what the teachers name was or even really remember what the class was.  I hope that when I do become a teacher that I embrace a students creativity instead of telling them it is unacceptable.  You never know you might be teaching the next Shakespeare or Michelangelo.


Cecelia Gault (Young Student in Finland) Interviews Sir Ken Robinson 
I think this was a great interview given buy Cecelia Gault.  This shows us that children are very capable of doing a lot of different thing if just given the opportunity.  I think I can hopefully give all of my students a great education by embracing who they are.  If a student relates to music more than books maybe I could find songs related to the topic.  No two people are alike and sometimes we will have to figure some alternative ways of teaching to help our students achieve there greatest potential.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts                                              I really liked Vicki's statement on how only certain students learn from pencil and paper assignments all of the time.  I really liked how even though the school she taught at was in a small rural area her and her students were still connected with people all over the world.  The things these students can learn are endless.  The students in her class also seem to be gaining so much from this class.
When I watched this I couldn't help but think what if more schools had this program in place at there own school.  It seems that it could help the students with becoming more technology educated in there schools and in there everyday life.  Being that the world itself is moving more and more to the technology side of things I think it is so important to have classes like this in place.


The wheel of creativity

1 comment:

  1. Shaska,

    I definitely think that children have a lot of potential, but many times adults underestimate their abilities. As teachers we should give our students many opportunities, and through these experiences, we should encourage and support them. I think it is great that you want to accept your students for who they are, and I know they will appreciate that.

    I think Vicki Davis is an excellent teacher, and we can certainly learn a lot from her. She incorporates many learning strategies, and she definitely gives her students opportunities to explore and learn. All students can benefit from her teaching style, and I hope I can one day be a teacher like her!

    ReplyDelete